On the internet today, there are over 1500 Top-Level Domain names (TLDs) available (Wikipedia.com). With the growing number, it is sometimes difficult to make a decision on which domain name to choose for your website. While some people may choose a *.com, *.net or *.org for their business, others may choose to get a fancy *.farm, *.me, *.store or *.online domain name. But does this domain name affect your website? Let’s dive in deeper!
DOES THE DOMAIN NAME YOU CHOOSE AFFECT YOUR WEBSITE?
It is very wise of someone to ask if the domain name of your website affects it. And the simple answer is Yes, it does. In fact, the domain name you choose sometimes gives a hint to your visitors what to expect when they visit your website. Let’s take a look at these examples:
- .com or .net websites can be interpreted as a company portfolio website and blog.
- .store websites as e-commerce websites
- .me/.online websites as personal blogs and journal
- .life or .org websites can be interpreted as organization websites (.life is popular for non-profits)
- .tech or .dev can be guessed as websites owned by programmers or software developers
- .farm for agricultural products and farmers etc.
Every website owner should choose a domain name that best suits his/her business or site content. Although choosing the right domain name is important, people still tend to prefer *.com TLDs to others (ignoring the content/description of the site). So what’s special about *.com TLDs? Does *.com TLDs come with some special privileges/features or is it just overrated?! Keep reading to find out why.
WHY *.COM IS BETTER THAN OTHER TLDs?
Does *.com domain name come with some special benefits? Yes it does. And we are going to list out some of its features that makes it stand out. Take a look:
- Popularity: It is no doubt that *.com TLD is popular than every other TLDs on the internet today. *.com is even more popular than its counterpart TLDs – *.net and *.org, and people tend to make use it more than any other domain name.
- Easy to remember: People find it easier (despite the name of your website) to remember websites ending with .com than other TLDs. For example, you tell a friend that your website is premiumsponges.xyz. After a hectic day of work, he may remember your website name as premiumsponges but he may not remember the *.xyz extension. What he’ll remember is premiumsponges.com instead of premiumsponges.xyz. Unless he calls you to confirm, he may end up visiting the wrong site.
- Affordable: *.com TLD is very affordable. With as low as $8 – $10 and even lesser, you can get a *.com domain name for one full year.
- High SEO Rank: Search engines tend to rank *.com domain names higher than other domain names. So if your website has a *.com TLD, you are in luck to be discovered by popular search engines.
- They are Cool: Owning a *.com website is cool, don’t you think so? Let me know in the comment section below your thoughts.
Every TLD comes with its own benefits and choosing the one that best fits your business should be the main focus and concern of every website owner. We would love to know your thoughts on this in the comment section below.